Friday, June 6, 2014

Mts. Balagbag, Oriod & Maranat Traverse.

Locations: Mt. Balagbag is at Bgy San Isidro Montalban Rizal and
                Mt. Oriod is at Bgy. San Lorenzo, Norzagaray, Bulacan

This hike passes the summit of three small mountains easily accessible from manila.
Google map Wikimapia 


















A. Jump off - Sitio Licao-licao, Bgy. Macabud, Montalban Rizal.
B. Sitio Balagbag, Bgy. San Isidro, Montalban, Rizal. If you are coming with a car, this is
safe place to park.
C. Start of trail direct to Point K, Maranat Falls river crossing.
D. Summit of Mt. Balagbag, 770masl and registration site.
Note: A to D is 3.8km. (2.4miles) - Ascend 450m
E. End of gravel road - start of trail
F. Left to Ipo River trail.
G. Ipo river crossing.
Note: E to G is 5.7km. (3.6miles) - Descend from 770masl to 540masl = 230m
From point G, you have 2 options:
1. Ascend to Summit 700masl (160m) or
2. Take river hike downstream (westward) to point I or direct to point K.
H. Start of river hike. 2.4km. (1.5miles) from point I
I. House of Ka. Bista. River hike of 2.2km. (1.4miles) downstream.
J. Oriod River crossing.
Note: From point I, ascend to summit 760masl then descend to point J 600masl. 3.0km (1.9miles)
See related post: Rock Climbing and Bouldering the Rocky Falls of Oriod River

K. Maranat Falls (Ipo River crossing)
Note: Point J to K is downstream river hike or maybe more appropriately, bouldering or rock
climbing because the very big rocks and boulders and unending falls along the river.
3.2km. (2.0miles). Descend from 600masl to 340masl (260m).
Ka Nestor Camp Site

About 200m. from the falls is the camp site of Ka. Nestor. The site can accommodate about 40 to 50 tents. Toilet and drinking spring water is available in the camp site.

During my hike I stayed and camped here overnight with the group of Ace Modar of Travel Tipid, swimming in the morning and continued my hike after lunch, back to point C.

Note: Point K to C is 3.8km (2.4miles) ascend from 340masl to 480masl (140m).



Total distance of hike: 22.3km (13.9miles)

Hike and views to the summit of Mt. Balagbag.





















Trail photos of descend from Mt. Balagbag to Ipo river (Eastern side).

Portions of the Sierra Madre Mountains






























Start of trail. This trail is the route of "Olingeros" or "Charcoal Makers". Supposed
to be illegal but they have no choice. No other source of income is available.
The "Olingero" kids














Trying my strength. I am only good for 1 sack. Not 2, not 3, definitely not 4. I met 1 
"Transporter" carrying 4 sacks. The sharing is 50/50 between the "Transporter" and 
the owner. Transporter can only make 1 trip a day. They negotiate the trail from 4 to 
5hrs. with the load.

The Transport System of "Oling" (Charcoal). Horse or any other means will never be effective 
because of the tough terrain. 











































Sample of the trail

Some kids I met along the way. Sisters Maribel, Jonabe and Erlyn. All carrying "Oling" since 8am. I met them about 10:30am and they are only halfway to their destination. They have not eaten daw breakfast yet, so I gave them my baon
of native kakanin.


The "Pugon" where they burn wood to become "Oling".

Part of Ipo river. Very shallow this time of year. Swollen and dangerous during rainy days.


























Water source on the trail.


































Ka Bisak. I met him in the river trying to fish but got nothing. He invited me to his house for lunch.


































House of Ka Bisak where I had lunch. I left my baon lunch with them also and he volunteered
his son to be my guide in the remainder of my hike. 

Kaingin system is still prevalent in the area. Too many trees are cut and burned. Sayang

Now for the downstream bouldering at the Oriod Rocky Falls. See post for this part of the hike
at http://bayanatinto.blogspot.com/2014/06/rock-climbing-bouldering-rocky-falls-of.html
Hikers and swimmers near Maranat Falls. Here I will camp for the night and do my swimming 
the next morning then back to jump off point. 






























2 comments :

  1. Flush-type toilet has a huge potential of contaminating the grounwater below it and the waterfalls downstream. Please refrain from using it as Metro Manila's water comes from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog. Very helpful! Required po ba ang guide?

    ReplyDelete